Thursday, June 12, 2008

It is just a job

How do I feel doing something totally different in a new country and with a new language? I feel ok. Maybe a little more stressed than my Irish colleagues because sometimes is difficult to me to understand all the words. I learn new things everyday and the feedback I have till now is that I was a good choice for the team. I am not entirely happy because it is not my dream job but it is a job. Like everyone, I have to work and I try to take the good part of it.

How is to sell extremely expensive clothes? At first, I felt a little bit intimidated. And, with time I realized that it is a business like any other and the only thing you have to do is to try to sell as much as you can and to act as professionally as you feel. And I am ok with that. :)

When I first saw the huge stockroom where all the clothes and lingerie are kept, I felt lost. Every brand has its place and the way they are arranged is logical, by items, by sizes, by colors. Every time you go in there, you have to know exactly where to look for and to move as fast as you can. And high heels shoes are not an option for this job. More than that, it is kind of interesting to see what happens with the clothes before they arrive in the customer's bag and how many people are involved in all this hard work. And I still don't know a lot of things, from marketing, designing, choosing fabrics to store merchandising or selling techniques..

My colleagues are nice people, women not as passionate about fashion as I thought first (it is just a job!) but all of them are young and pretty much good looking. And it is a must to refresh your make up during work. :)

One thing I noticed here and it shocked me. No one is available to work overtime without being paid. And when your shift ended, you simply go home. Not at 5.10, not at 5.15 but at 5.00 sharp, you just clock out and you run the catch your bus. And it is not where I work, but every where. And location is very important. If you leave a job because it is too far from home, no one blames you. More than that, recruiters ask you what is your favorite location for work. And I start to feel that as a normal thing because I have to leave home one hour and half earlier just to be sure that I arrive on time.

Lunch time is respected all the time. That hour is not paid (I never thought of that) so that is why is so important to take it instead of working it. You simply go to the park, enjoy your sandwich and relax. And after one hour you go back to work.

What about pressure and stress? It is pressure but not the one I was used to. It is different. People here are more...relaxed. A job is just a job, nothing more, nothing less. For every employer is important that the employees to respect the work-life balance. Everyone works, don't get me wrong, but Saturday night out is as important to elders and married people as it is to younger or single people. If you stay at work longer than you are supposed to, the HR people call you for a meeting and ask you why can't you cope with your regular schedule.

And I am not allowed to use my mobile phone during work. That was extremely tough for me! :)) And this rule is available for every office person I met, too. Ha!! Every one has a voice mail message and the mobile phone is something very personal. People don't put their mobile phone number in their email signature, never! If you need to call someone, you call the land line phone number and if he/she doesn't answer, you simply leave a message. And you will be definitely contacted.

I can't wait for my first paycheck. Being for the first time employed in Ireland, I need to pay an emergency tax, some money that I will receive back from the tax people, as I heard.
This is very new to me.

Anyway, it is too early to say what I like and what I dislike here, in Ireland, in terms of work.
For the moment, it is just a job.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! For me it’s pretty unbelievable baby, as we work like slaves in here. If you dare to stand up at 18:00 your boss will “kill” you with a look.
It really became a joke thinking that we could be paid for overtime, to get job mobiles even though we use that a lot.

Anonymous said...

Ma, e o latura foarte pozitiva a giobului asta, nu te mai plictisesti pe net :))
Acuma sincer, e bine ca-ti permiti sa-ti platesti facturile. Insa chestia cu overtime-ul si chemarea la ordine daca vrei overtime e nesimtire curata din partea LOR. Pai cum vor sa ajunga societate multilateral dezvoltata asa ?! cu atitudinea asta de ne-munca ?
Bine va face ca nu va plateste lunchtime-ul !

Anonymous said...

Aninika, Cezar - these things are pretty new to me and I am not used to them. For example, I never thought of the fact that lunch hour was not paid. And it is not paid in Romania, too and probably in Italy, too.

Cezar, I didn't say that I can pay my bills. We are kind of on the edge. I have the minimum wage here and it is pretty difficult. And it would have been more difficult for us if our friends haven't helped us with the rent.

Think of the fact that a one bedroom apartment is around €800-900 per month and to rent a house is €1400.

Anonymous said...

Yes indeed, is just a job. Than other, and other:))

Anonymous said...

I've just written the mail number 4 to my boss asking when the hell I'm going to have an answer. I’m asking for my right and its embarrassing, that's all. There is a meeting in Paris on September and the only person who worked on this brand is not invited…worst, not even taken into consideration. It's just a job. I'm not that sure. I spend between 8 and 10 hours a day at job and I just can accept that the only reason I'm here is to get paid at the end of the month. I have to give some value of it.

Anonymous said...

Chestia cu overtime-ul am observat-o si eu aici in state.Interesant blogul tau.L-am trecut la blogroll in blogul meu.Check it out: http://americang0thic.wordpress.com/