Wednesday, July 2, 2008

In the mood for reading

Spending so much time in the bus, around three hours per day, I decided to make the most of my time. So, I started to look for the books and novels that we have here. Before moving to Ireland, we had sent a large bag full of books and I felt confident that I have a lot of books to read. But I had an unpleasant surprise, I only found four readable books, the rest of them were English grammar books, dictionaries and business books (?!). What was I thinking when I packed the bag??

So, in the last few weeks I had some pleasant journyes, before arriving to work and after finishing my shift. I read ''Lulu's ages'' by Almudena Grandes, finished to read ''About seduction'' by Gabriel Liiceanu, read again ''The master and Margret'' by Mihail Bulgacov and ''Eva Luna'' by Isabel Allende.

What now? O looked again and when I was about to start reading ''Funky business'' (although I was not in the mood for a business book), my husband remembered that we have another one...about sports and football!! Incredible but true, I am currently reading ''Fault! The secret world of FIFA: bribes, vote rigging and ticket scandals''. ::)
Too bad that I can't see anything on TV about Euro 2008 football championship anymore, maybe I would have been more in the mood for it. :))

Ok, ok, I know that all my readings are mixed but what can I do if only these I found?

I need more time here, to get used to the language, in order to decide to buy books in English..I love Reads, Eason and Hughes&Hughes bookstores, it is very tempting to buy but when I am really in the mood for reading, I need to read in my language. At least, in this period of my life.

But I still have a chance. My good friends from Romania come to Ireland on Sunday and hopefully, I will get some novels in Romanian. :)

9 comments:

Lola said...

Try reading in English, it will help more than you think - even if you'll need to use the dictionary now and then. Even newspapers (easier to make up what they mean when stumbling over a word you don't know). Watching the news on TV helps tremendously also.

Do you have a Public Library system? don't spend your hard earned money on books yet. Borrowing is a wonderful thing.

gugutza said...

Have patience. I'll bring some "aid"! Soon! ;)

Anonymous said...

Am revazut cartulia aceea a lui Bulgakov... editia moldoveneasca...ca un ceaslov ! Doaaaamne ce amintiri de pe vremea cand spiritul se scria cu s mare!
Eu unul prefer sa nu mai studiez cartile mortilor vii, e prea de neinteles pentru oamneii relaxati ai Vestului. De pilda, gandeste-te draga Dora,ca speranta de viata a autorului de 30-40 ani era mai slaba decat cea a bunicii mele de 75, bolnava de Alzenheimer. Cand tu insuti, cititor, ai 20, e foarte usor de negociat cu asta. Din fericire, schimbam cu totii prefixul si parca, ne mai inteleptim :))

Anonymous said...

Lola, I don't feel like using the dictionary when reading a book, I mean literature. :)I don't want to feel like studying. It will spoil the pleasure of reading. But I do watch the Irish and British TV channels and I read newspapers from time to time and it is ok in terms of language.
The Public Library is a great idea though and I will try to find out more.

Bogdan, I heard that Cristi has a special order and it works fine with me, too:)) thanks a million!

Anonymous said...

Cezar, cartulia aia mi-a facut mare placere pe vremea cand eram noi adolescenti. Nici nu stiu de ce am luat-o cu mine!!

Anyway, moodul asta de citit care ma tine de ceva vreme cred ca inseamna ceva mai mult decat faptul ca vreau sa-mi treaca timpul mai cu folos in autobuz.

Anonymous said...

Stii ce nu inteleg? De ce ai tradus titlurile cartilor?:)

Anonymous said...

For the english readers, that's why:)).

Anonymous said...

allora, mettiamo un nuovo argomento che sto aspettando da giorni? :)
PS: for Italian readers only

to-morrow said...

I would like to read more stories about Dublin. Your Dublin. It gives me a glimpse of interesting places and people.