Monday, April 28, 2008

Easter


It's Easter time for Romanians. Although I never cooked special Easter meals, I did it this year. My mother and my mother-in-law used to do all the work in the last years so I had to do it by myself this year. So, I boiled and colored eggs, I baked three ''cozonaci'' (that special sweet bread with cocoa, nuts and Turkish delight) and a ''pasca'' (it looks like a pie, with cheese, eggs, milk and raisins) but it was a total disaster, unfortunately. I can count it as an honorable attempt, I guess. :) I'll do better next time, hopefully!

We had guests yesterday and we spent a nice day together. Grilled lamb, pork and chicken, salads, wine, a nice chocolate cake (it was my husband's birthday a day before) and fruits.
Romanians spent a lot of time eating and talking at this special occasions, but although we used to laugh about this habit, we really enjoyed doing that. I guess that we kind of feel differently now.
Back to the roots, at least on Easter.

We couldn't find THE Romanian church. We knew about one on Leeson street, in Stephen's Green area but we learned that the church with Romanian orthodox service is actually located near Heuston station. We missed the Easter service but we know where it is now!
It would have been better to go to the church in the night before Easter, as all Romanians do, but we don't have a car yet so we skipped it.

The funny thing about Easter this year is that I was a little confused about the fact that I couldn't feel the shopping fever as it usually is in Romania on this time. :) People buying a lot of food, presents and chocolate bunnies. So, more money for us then! :))

Happy Easter or as we say in Romanian ''Hristos a inviat!''

2 comments:

gugutza said...

"...I was a little confused about the fact that I couldn't feel the shopping fever as it usually is in Romania on this time. :)"

Well...there was another "thrill" you've missed also: the "traditionally" Easter price increase ! :)

A woman indeed said...

Yeah, that's right! I remember that! :))